Thursday, March 7, 2013

"Go Team Philly, or..."...how I learned to stop worrying and love group runs.

So, to be completely honest, I have always had trouble enjoying running with other people.  Occasionally, I liked hitting the road with one friend I trusted who wanted to go approximately the same pace, one that was okay with the idea of not always talking, and one with whom I could get delicious brunch with at the end.  I also didn't mind going out with friends of mine who were new to running, but Holy Performance Anxiety if I ever went out with friends who were markedly faster or better than me.  Despite the fact that I am always willing to, I am unable to square the idea that other people would be totally cool with taking a slower pace for the benefit of a good friend. Endlessly afraid of the silent judgment of faster runners, I always ran by myself.

It wasn't just fear, though. Running is, as Jon Stewart would say, my moment of zen.  I enjoy letting go of everything and everyone else while just escaping into the rhythm of putting one foot in front of the other.  I don't know that I ever actively think about my life or problems while running, but I sure seem to end each run with questions answered and a significantly less amount of stress.

Long story short: I'm a solo runner.

So when I signed up for this training group through Philadelphia Runner, I was nervous.  They do two weeknight shorter group runs and one long run every weekend.  They've got pace groups for every runner's needs, they're the nicest people ever, and they actually set up water stops during the long runs.  What could possibly be bad about that?

I HAVE TO RUN IN FRONT OF OTHER PEOPLE, THAT'S WHAT!!  Cue panic.  I barely slept the night before our first long run because I was so nervous.  But I was miles-deep in a motivation-less trough, and needed someone to drag me out, so, I nervously laced up my shoes and hit the road with these people.

Turns out they're great.  Fantastic people.  Why in the world was I ever nervous.
The Team Philly group is friendly, inclusive, and still pushes you to meet your personal best, whatever that is.  I've had an absolute blast getting to know awesome new people, and have (I think) finally chilled out about running in front of others.  Not only is it great to know that if you don't show up, people will actually miss you, but that if you're having a rough run, people will hang back, lend you their water, and push you up the hill if necessary.
I still do a solo run once or twice a week, and it's still the most at peace I ever feel with my mind, body, and spirit.  But I'm also really excited to have finally gotten over myself enough to enjoy this stellar running group.  Hooray for the best of both worlds!
Thanks, guys, for being the best running partners ever, and for helping me overcome The World's Silliest Thing To Be Stressed About.  See you on the road.
 
Amy Ovecka

No comments:

Post a Comment